Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How old do you have to be to apply?
A: Bridge2Rwanda only accepts recent high school graduates who are 21 years old or younger.
Q: Do you accept students from outside Rwanda?
A: We currently accept students from Rwanda, Democratic Republic of Congo, Burundi, and South Sudan.
Q: What services do you offer?
A: The Bridge2Rwanda Scholars’ Program helps prepare and equip African students to compete for international scholarships to study abroad. Bridge2Rwanda’s 16-month Leadership Academy addresses five primary areas designed to prepare students for academic success and meaningful lives and careers in Africa:
- Academic preparation – Improve English language skills (vocabulary, reading comprehension and writing), critical thinking, problem solving and admission test scores.
- Personal development and leadership training – Encourage a purpose-driven life and service to others. Teaching the heart and mindset of effective leaders and entrepreneurs.
- Community service projects – Facilitate student-initiated projects to address real needs in the Rwandan community. Teach scholars to recognize their capacity to make a difference and to seek opportunities to serve others throughout their lives.
- College counseling – Navigate the global university admissions process. Equip scholars to share their stories and serve as ambassadors for their countries. Prepare scholars for the challenges of living and studying in a foreign country.
- Career counseling – Provide personal vocational assessments, industry visits and career counseling regarding Africa’s growth sectors, employers and professional opportunities.
Q: What type of commitment is required of a Bridge2Rwanda Scholar?
A: B2R Scholars make a full-time commitment to the Leadership Academy (24 hours/7 days a week for the first 12 months) without any guarantee that they will receive a university scholarship. They also sign a written commitment that, if they are awarded a scholarship, they will return to work in Africa after their university graduation.
Q: If I am accepted into the B2R Scholars program, will I be guaranteed a scholarship?
A: Scholarships are awarded by universities and must be earned by the applicants. Receipt of a scholarship is not guaranteed.
Q: I have applied to other universities. Am I still eligible to apply to the B2R Scholars Program?
A: You are welcome to apply; however, if you are accepted into the B2R Scholarship Program you will be required to withdraw all applications from other schools.
Q: What does the application process consist of?
A: The first step in the process is completion of the application online. All applications are reviewed, and the applicants with the strongest applications will receive an invitation to come to the B2R Center for a group interview and an English test. If an applicant passes the group interview process and scores high enough on the English test, he or she may be invited to attend an individual interview. Selection decisions are made after the second interview phase is completed.